An Australian homeowner has pleaded for help after making a “disgusting” discovery in their carpet.
Sharing to a popular Facebook page, the resident revealed they had come across mushrooms growing out of the carpet outside their ensuite bathroom.
A photo shared alongside the post showed two small, mustard-colored mushrooms shooting out from a gap between the carpet and the baseboard.
“Somebody please help! My ensuite is on the border of our carpet and it keeps getting wet and growing mushrooms!” the resident wrote on the Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia page.
“How can I get rid of the damp carpet there to stop this happening?”
More worryingly, the homeowner said the mushrooms had reared their heads in just a few hours.
“They weren’t there this morning! By 3 pm when I got home they were this big!” they added.
Hundreds of users reacted to the homeowner’s frantic post, with many recommending they brace for a costly and time-consuming clean-up.
“OMG, we had this problem. Our bathroom shower had a leak and we had rotten wood in the support structures of the wall too — which then got termites in them because damp also attracts termites,” one person said.
“Insurance wouldn’t cover it and it cost us $30,000 to redo shower, treat termites, put in termite barrier and knock out the wall and replace.
“My advice: you can’t ignore this. The longer you have dampness, the more issues you will have with damage. Get a plumber out ASAP and find the source of the leak.”
Another user shared a similar story, saying she “had mushrooms pop out under a skirting board in our bathroom near the shower.”
“Dismantling revealed there was absolutely no waterproofing in the shower area and the structural timber in the bathroom had been soaking up moisture,” the user wrote.
“It was a moldy, rotten mess behind the shower wall tiles. It had to be gutted. If we had just patched up the mushroom area the moisture would have caused major structural issues beyond the bathroom.”
Another agreed, adding: “Bathroom is not waterproofed properly that’ll need to be gutted and redone and the carpet needs replacing.”
Several people warned the mushrooms could be a sign of mold or other biohazards lurking in the area.
“That mold can be very bad for you,” one user said.
“Be careful and sourcing that leak will help. But the mold spores you can’t see in that room are seriously dangerous.”
Many suggested the resident reach out to their insurance company.
“I absolutely hope you have insurance because you’re going to need it,” one responded.
Another wrote: “I had the same problem. Leaking pipe in shower. Insurance job. Very happy with it.”
While many were shocked by the “gross” discovery, others laughed it off.
“Free food!” joked one.
“Embrace it and make a fairy garden!” added another.